Friday, December 2, 2011

22 - 26 Dec 1863

Dec 22 - While the war continues I am willing to remain with the regiment.  Perhaps it is my duty to do so.  But my duty to my wife and boy and her wishes may conflict.  I will therefore wait till I see her.  Meanwhile encourage the men to re-enlist in an honorable, well-paid and not my hard service.

Dec 23 - Much stir about re-enlistments.  I feel willing to go for a longer term.  Indeed my master seems to need me if the regiment stays longer.  This on next day went to Co. B [could be an R] & C 4 miles South with Col. Swayne.

Dec 24 - Chaplain Collins* here selling his book and making speeches.  Eve society met but soon adjourned.

Dec 25 - Christmas day.  Cloudy weather.  Mr. Collins with me at dinner.  Had a turkey.  P.m. he made a patriotic speech to the men and I followed briefly.  Eve a great dance by our blacks.

Dec 26 - Busy in study etc.  Visited in the batteries.  Distributed books in the regular one.  Hard to collect thoughts, so much "veterans" business is done.  Eve a good debate.

*  Rev. Gamaliel Collins was born in Provincetown Massachusetts on 7 Oct 1816.  He was ordained a Universalist minister in 1842.  He served congregations in Massachusetts and New York until 1854 when he gave up pastoral work because of failing eyesight and moved to Philadelphia where he opened a "denominational and miscellaneous" book store.  In August 1861 he became chaplain to the 72nd Pennsylvania Volunteers.  At the battle of Antietam his horse was shot out from under him and Gamaliel  received serious and lasting injuries from the fall.  At the close of the war he was commissioned a chaplain in the regular army.  He retired to Chatham, Massachusets where he died on 24 April 1891.

No comments:

Post a Comment