Friday, December 2, 2011

8 - 14 Jan 1864

Jan 8 - A.m. went to members of the Sanitary Commission and told of the dirty cheerless barracks in which our men were.  Think they will be impressed a little after we leave.  From a technical defect in account could not get my pay.  Eve march to ferry but the rest would not venture.

Jan 9 - Sharp morning.  Marched again to ferry.  Men on it an hour or two.  I was chilly and had sick head ache.  Too much ice to cross.  Marched down off [at] New Albany [IN] and crossed.  Felt better.  Sleigh to Jeffersonville [OH].  Read "Edwards on the Sabbath*."



Jan 10 - Having left at 10 last evening we had a long ride to Seymour [OH] with we reached Sunday a.m.  Not seeing the necessity of my travelling on the Sabbath I applied for leave to stop off but Wagar disapproved.  Got on fine cars and were rapidly taken to Cin[cinnati].  There I felt very faint but got some meat.

Jan 11 - Dawn of a fine day found us rapidly nearing Columbus.  How merciful God has been to us.  Got home and washed up at noon.  P.m. hear part of Brough's* inaugural.  Have a very bad cold.  Men getting furloughs.

Jan 12 - A.m. went for [Col.] Wagar [Swayne] but he could not get my pay here.  He is nettled that the regiment's return is barely noticed here.  P.m. had a sleigh ride.  Eve felt very miserable from my cold.  Discussion on grate.

Jan 13 - Weather moderating.  Left at 4 a.m. but from delays we got to Grafton too late for the hack and I came on to Berea.  My cold a little better.  Evening got home same.  Found Ella in rather healthier condition than for a year and a half past.

Jan 14 - Ella at my request had forwarded my overcoat to Columbus so that I miss it.  Feel quite unwell from my cold.  Lucius is quite pretty and pleasant.  Mr and Mrs Boner called in at evening.

*  "The perpetuity and change of the Sabbath" by Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758).  You can read it here:
http://www.biblebb.com/files/edwards/sabbath.htm

*  John Brough (rhymes with ruff) was the 26th Governor of Ohio serving from 11 Jan 1864 until 29 Aug 1865.  He died in office of gangrene.  You can read about him here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brough   Pictured below

No comments:

Post a Comment