Monday, November 14, 2011

1 - 7 May 1863

May 1 - Marched to Iuka.  Refreshing rest at noon by the cool springs.  Eve got to Burnsville.  I rode about to see that contrabands got food.

May 2 - Col. Herrick wished to go to Corinth by a R.R. train for business and I accompanied him.  Saw the battle field by the forts where Col. Smith and Adjt. H[?] fell.  Eve regiment came.  Felt depressed.

May 3 - Sunday a.m. washed in a stream.  P.m. the regiment left for Bethel.  I staid and preached for Mr. Fry.  Pleasant p.m. and eve.

May 4 - Dr. Smith having invited me to visit a hospital under his charge, I staid and talked with patients.  Staid p.m. and eve at his room.  At pleasant chaplains meeting in a.m.

May 5 - Early to Bethel.  Fixed ourselved again.

May 6 - Busy about camp.

May 7 - Prepared rations to send to be distributed on Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for transcribing and posting this diary. I've been hoping to find more about the 43d OVI. The adjutant who fell with Smith was Charles Heyl.

    ReplyDelete