Thursday, November 10, 2011

12 - 14 March 1863

March 12 - Lovely morning.  Took my station in Provost Marshal's office.  Numerous applicants for aid came in - was thronged.  I like the business and had a cabin fixed for a refugee's family.  Headache.  No prayer meeting because no seats.

March 13 - Fine spring day.  See much destitution and misery in poor families.  Busy at office.  I had my horse shod.  Visited hospital.  No mail for a few days.  2 officers of 7th [?] came to consult about meetings.  Tell of meetings and revival in their regiment.  I am cheered by the good news.  Vicksburgh evacuated.  Hope to men.

March 14 - Lovely day.  Went to Purdy.  Collected 7.50.  Town half deserted apparently.  Dined with Mr. Gardner.  3 of Tenn. cavalry came in and took dinner, [?] tired and too much inclined to be petulant.

No comments:

Post a Comment