Tuesday, November 15, 2011

25 - 29 June 1863

June 25 - Crawled about in P.m.  My friend Dr. Smith put me to bed.  Pain in bowels.  In distress.  Mustard helped none.  Morphine finally quieted me.

June 26 - Drowsy and confined to bed.  Weak.  Murphy nurses me.  Excellent care.  No appetite.  Have fever and loose bowels.  Take medicine.  Can eat, gruel and beef tea.

June 27 - Still sick.  Col. Swayne, Mr. Boyd and Mr. Rose, Col. Herrick, Maj. Park and James Fifer* and other privates very kind.

June 28 - In bed all day.  Some Sunday thoughts.  Mr. Fry was too unwell to preach to regiment.

June 29 - Col. Swayne of his own accord has kindly got me a sick furlough of 20 days and pushed it through.  Home here.

* James W. Fifer of the 67th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

No comments:

Post a Comment